CrimeWatchers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It Takes A Village - You Can Help

2 posters

Go down

It Takes A Village - You Can Help Empty It Takes A Village - You Can Help

Post by CherokeeNative Mon May 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Why are conservative television stations, journalists, bloggers, media, candidates etc. trying to say this has nothing to do with race? Why do YOU need this not to be about race? Oh, I "get it" that the actual trial of George is not about race, but that is different - let's discuss how this case is about race when it comes to achieving justice for Trayvon and his family. Let's talk about why you need to step up.

Historically, racism is done through control of public spaces. Trayvon was killed in a gated community, one located in a town that has a history of racial violence. Knowing one's rightful place also works in terms of social expectations about power--who has it, how it is exercised, and which types of bodies it can be exercised on with impunity.

Trayvon Martin is dead because as a black person he did not follow the approved script when confronted by a "white" vigilante. Indeed, as Taffee explained in a presser, George was fed up…and had Trayvon answered George's questions, possibly he wouldn't have been murdered (paraphrasing). How mighty White of George and Taffee.

The idea of blackness being ascribed certain traits and standards of behavior and submission relative to "white" authority is naked and transparent in the phone transcript of George's NEN call to the local police. Trayvon was "up to no good" and a "suspicious…asshole, who always gets away." He was a "fucking coon." Yes, that IS what George said.

What does it mean to be deemed inexorably and permanently "suspicious?" What does it mean to be forever "suspect?" What does it mean to be marked as a "threat" from "birth to death?" It means to be "black." This is the social and racial imagination of people like George and his enablers in the local police department.

Law enforcement is familiar with George's "guardian type" - These guys show up all the time - they think they are Batman or Robin. The SYG is a vigilante nut law. It creates a license to kill for these vigilante types. Such individuals are usually unstable, they're wannabe law enforcement officers, they weren't smart enough, weren't physically capable...most of the time, this is how far it goes. You've got to look at these individuals for what they are - they're wannabes, they're Walter Mitty characters who have this delusional idea about their capabilities. And they are a nuisance to law enforcement. They have this grandiose vision of themselves - Bruce Willis, Clint Eastwood is who they think they are. But in the town of Sanford, law enforcement tolerated George and when George found himself standing with a gun and a dead Trayvon, some in law enforcement attempted to pull a "good ol' boy" by turning a blind eye to the evidence that clearly pointed to George as a murderer because George was more "white" than "black."

They conducted a toxicology test on Trayvon's body, but they couldn't even perform an alcohol / drug test on George who, by the way, was allowed to walk away with his concealed carry permit intact. Florida guidelines for licensed gun owners state: "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." There is no doubt that racism was directly involved here, or White privilege; and it allows us to address how law routinely mishandles cases where a minority is the victim.

The fact that you have the luxury of believing that all of your successes and failures have nothing to do with race is a White privilege. Asians have their own situation involving the prejudice of being a “model minority”, no one assumes you know kung-fu, compliments you on your speaking English well, figures you are cheap, or a bad driver based on your race. If you are hired in at a job, no one will assume that they did it just to meet a quota based on your race, or to appear more politically correct. It is assumed that you get where you are based on merit. That is a White privilege. The fact that George had the luxury of having law enforcement believe he killed Trayvon in self-defense based solely upon his word is White privilege. The fact that you do not have to think about White privilege because it really won’t impact your life one way or another and isn’t important to you is a White privilege. I wish to live in an equal society as well, but we will never get there by ignoring racism and prejudice and pretending like it doesn’t exist, or pretending everyone has an equal opportunity and a level playing field.

The problem is a system that undeservingly benefits Whites and perpetuates White hegemony, White supremacy, and White dominance and disproportionately marginalizes, deleteriously impacts, and oppresses people of color. Such was the situation with Trayvon, a barely 17 year-old Black teen who went to the store ends up shot through the heart and the only way the culprit is brought to justice is because of mass public outcry to recognize White privilege is wrong.

History repeats itself. Ultimately, George Zimmerman reminds me of those white men riding on the slave patrols, eager, petty tyrants who are looking for any excuse to put their boots on the throat of a black person in order to raise themselves up a bit higher. They live to control public space, and how different bodies exercise their freedoms and liberties in it.

I can remember no other case whereby the murder victim has been criminalized in this manner. This a simple and basic example of a double standard regarding Blacks in this country. And White American society has proven that they are ultimately cowardly scum who don't stand for decency or justice at all. Never have I seen such an outpouring of support for a murderer. Never. Traditionally, murder is a universally damned crime in our country. Unless it's a Black person, then it's the American version of "mowing the lawn". I have read countless posts across the spectrum, saying that Trayvon was a thug in the making and that George performed a public service, and I am sure George and his family believe this. The support for George is a de facto support for a traditional sport in White America, pursuing a killing of unarmed Blacks. That there is some inherent right that Whites feel like they have to kill Blacks. That George had every right to follow Trayvon and confront him. That Trayvon should have responded to Zimmerman politely when questioned about his activities. That George didn't have to obey the NEN dispatcher or follow the rules of the neighborhood watch. As long as George is doing this to a Black person, then the Black rules kick in.

Very few if any, have discussed the legal right of self-defense that Trayvon possessed that fateful evening. Double standards, hypocrisy, the aggressor playing the victim, criminalizing the victim, calling on God to justify the act, then standing lock step together no matter how the crime is revealed to be just that, a crime. If I stood for such things I would be terrified that my victims would one day treat me in the same manner that I have treated them. I guess my question is how does it feel to be such a group of cowardly pigs?

There’s no comparison to be made between a teenage boy who was being a teenage boy and wanting to look “cool” to his peers, and a grown adult man who is an irresponsible, habitual liar, with a history of aggression and violence playing "Batman." And folks, that is what George was trying to do that night.

They say timing is everything. No one is lost in the timing of George's attorneys' release of photos, texts, and videos that are completely irrelevant and inadmissible come trial. George's attorneys want to inflame prejudice within the jurors. They are attempting to pollute the jury pool with cockroaches, the extreme right white supremists who hide behind their computer screens and try to assassinate Trayvon over and over. Since the defense attorneys have no legitimate defense or arguments, they are trying to niggerize Trayvon. In essence, they seek to justify the lynching of Trayvon by depicting him as a worthless, marijuana smoking, gun toting, middle finger pointing, thug nigger. Basically, they want the public to believe that Trayvon got what he deserved. I apologize with all my heart for the use of this vile word - but it is the truth - it is what the defense is trying to do and it disgusts me. They have taken our society back 100 years in doing so. I hate them for this.

As the commentary lawyers on the television have indicated, most if not all of those photos and text messages will not be admitted into evidence for two reasons. First of all, they are completely irrelevant. They have absolutely nothing to with what occurred on the night in question. Trayvon was not armed with a gun on the night in question. Therefore, photos of a hand with a gun are irrelevant. In addition, character evidence is generally inadmissible. Thus, the marijuana photos and middle finger photos are irrelevant and inadmissible. Besides, smoking marijuana is not a capital offense. No one deserves to die for smoking marijuana. No one deserves to die for growing little marijuana plants. No deserves to die for throwing up the middle finger. No one deserves to die for wearing gold teeth. No one deserves to die for wearing a hoodie. No one deserves to die just for being black. Second, there is no way to authenticate the photos - George murdered the only human on this earth that could do that. Lastly, even if the photos and text messages had probative value, they would still be inadmissible. Their probative value would be substantially outweighed by the danger of unfair prejudice.

We must categorically reject the prejudice being promoted by the defense team. We must continue to focus on the relevant facts. Trayvon was unarmed. Trayvon was not engaged in any criminal activity on the night in question. George racially profiled him. Against the advice of law enforcement, George continued to stalk and hunt Trayvon. Trayvon had a right to defend himself against George. George shot and killed Trayvon. After Trayvon was murdered, the police failed to file charges against George until the people raised hell.

It is a national disgrace that we had to protest to bring the killer to justice. That it took 45 days for George to be arrested and charged speaks volumes about the American criminal justice system's cold and racist disregard for black life. People all over this nation united and said "Hell no! We aren't going to let that man get away with killing an unarmed, innocent, young teen." As a result of the people's collective efforts, George is now behind bars via home arrest and charged with 2nd degree murder. This is why protests matter. This is why civil rights organizations are still relevant and necessary. If it was not for the people marching, protesting, speaking out, petitioning and blogging, Trayvon would be just another dead, discarded Black teen. George would still be on the loose, armed and dangerous. Never forget that.

We can no longer sit back while the media ignores the truth in exchange for ratings. We cannot and should not allow two racist attorneys to derail our judicial process and the media give such tactics leverage. We put our voices together and were successful in bringing George before the Court to be held accountable for his murder of Trayvon. We must put our voices together once again to insure that a racist defense team does not taint our jurors. It takes a village. Do not let the defense be successful.

CherokeeNative
CherokeeNative
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

It Takes A Village - You Can Help Empty Re: It Takes A Village - You Can Help

Post by jojoscorpio Tue May 28, 2013 4:40 am

Beautiful article. I do disagree with your idea that SYG is a vigilante nut law that gives vigilantes a license to kill. It isn't even being used as a defense in this case because they know that it does not apply to z and he would not get off with it. I do not believe that SYG even entered z's little pea brain. Why would it? In his mind, he was The Law. z almost got away with what he did because his family knew someone who could pull some strings. The investigating officer didn't buy z's story and wanted to charge him. The DA in that area was a vocal anti-SYG flake and decided to use this case to make his point. He is no longer a DA and z has been charged. Racism was definitely a factor in what happened that night and what has happened since then. Age discrimination has been a factor too. My first thought was that it was another kid strung out on drugs. NOT a black kid strung out on drugs, even tho I knew his color, just any color kid. Drugs are a problem and kids tend to get mixed up in drugs.

I know that my opinion on SYG differs from some others here. A friend of mine up north is serving time for shooting and killing a man who was on his porch and threatening him. My friend was inside his house. The man he shot was known for being violent and for carrying a gun (a gun was found on his person after his death). Had SYG been available, my friend might not be in prison. Then again, he might. The law is a funny thing sometimes.

I work in a hospital west of Orlando. We get a fair amount of gunshot and stabbing victims. The vast majority are drug and/or gang related, mostly drug related tho. A few are domestic violence and some are drunken idiot disputes. Almost never does SYG even get mentioned. The few cases where it has been tried, it has gotten knocked out. It isn't a perfect law but what law is perfect? There is always going to be some way some defense attorney can twist and turn a law's intent to suit his client.

Ok. Off my soapbox now.

jojoscorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by CherokeeNative Tue May 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks for your input JoJo. I will respond to your comment in two parts.

You state:

Beautiful article. I do disagree with your idea that SYG is a vigilante nut law that gives vigilantes a license to kill. It isn't even being used as a defense in this case because they know that it does not apply to z and he would not get off with it. I do not believe that SYG even entered z's little pea brain. Why would it? In his mind, he was The Law. z almost got away with what he did because his family knew someone who could pull some strings. The investigating officer didn't buy z's story and wanted to charge him. The DA in that area was a vocal anti-SYG flake and decided to use this case to make his point. He is no longer a DA and z has been charged.

I did not specifically address the SYG statutes as it relates to George's case in my recent rant "It Takes a Village" so I think your comment is taken from reading one of my earlier rants. That being said, I am gathering that you support the SYG laws. So, I will reiterate my feelings on the SYG to the extent that yes, George is still relying on the SYG statutes in his defense of this case, although he has waived his right to a pretrial hearing to be adjudged justified in using deadly force on Trayvon.

It has always been law that it is the responsibility of the defendant to prove that there were mitigating circumstances for taking a human life. The means to present that evidence already existed through the criminal justice system without the enactment of what is defined as the "SYG Law." What changed with the enactment of the SYG Law, and upon which George will be defending himself at the trial of this case is that the State must now prove a negative - in otherwords, the State must now prove that it was unreasonable for George to have "believed he was in sufficient jeopardy to use lethal force."

Florida Statute, Section 776.012, states:

Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or

(2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.

BBM.

Before SYG, it was incumbent on those who took human life to prove with actual evidence — and not merely through their state-of-mind suppositions, and their sense that there was no other way to proceed — that they were obliged to kill, that their use of lethal force was the only alternative. Now, because of the SYG law anyone with a gun, if they believe themselves to be under significant threat and can conjure even a vague scenario that argues for such, can take a human life with less chance of being legally responsible for the action.

If you listen closely to O'Mara when he talks about this case, he is clear in stating the George "believed" that he was going to die and his only alternative was to shoot Trayvon. But the truth is, George suffered no real injuries in the brief altercation between Trayvon. His superficial cuts on the back of his head and a couple of knicks on the side of his nose could hardly be considered life threatening, and indeed, George didn't feel injured enough to go to the hospital although given the opportunity on several occasions that night. And, if you will recall, his vitals were within normal limits just ten or so minutes following his having killed a human being. What kind of drugs were George on in order to not even have high blood pressure over the fact that he had just ended another person's life? Just looking at the photos of George taken within hours of his supposed beat-down, he appears almost pristine and unharmed...yet, Trayvon was lying dead in the morgue.

But that the SYG laws do not "gives vigilantes a license to kill" I disagree and will offer you just one article as an example supporting my personal opinion on this statement. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"• People often go free under "stand your ground" in cases that seem to make a mockery of what lawmakers intended. One man killed two unarmed people and walked out of jail. Another shot a man as he lay on the ground. Others went free after shooting their victims in the back. In nearly a third of the cases the Times analyzed, defendants initiated the fight, shot an unarmed person or pursued their victim — and still went free."

The SYG law is, obviously, a personal opinion for each to hold. I do not begrudge your support of SYG, we just see things differently, and that is fine. Do I believe George thought of SYG when he shot Trayvon? No, but I believe it was an immediate thought once he did pull the trigger - I mean nine years of criminal justice training and concealed weapons classes surely George knew what he had to say and do to try to get off from murdering Trayvon - he was just too stupid to pull it off. In fact, I have no doubt that George had discussed with his wife and friends what he would do and say if he ever shot someone to insure that it was found to be in self-defense - but George would have called it a "clean shot."

You state:

Racism was definitely a factor in what happened that night and what has happened since then. Age discrimination has been a factor too. My first thought was that it was another kid strung out on drugs. NOT a black kid strung out on drugs, even tho I knew his color, just any color kid. Drugs are a problem and kids tend to get mixed up in drugs.

I am glad you recognize that George most likely would not have shown any interest in Trayvon had he been a white, blond haired, blue eyed kid walking in the rain. I guess what disturbs me about your statement is that, automatically, you think that the altercation involved a "kid strung out on drugs" rather than questioning why an armed adult was stalking, hunting, or tracking a young unarmed teen who was minding his own business, and as a result, murdered the teen. My first thought was, my gosh, if after tracking and following my kid, I hope to hell that my kid would have done exactly what Trayvon is accused of doing, because it is exactly what I have taught my child to do when a stranger follows and approaches him/her. I've taught them to punch, kick, run, scream to high heavens. It never occurred to me to think of drugs. We, as parents, teachers, or law enforcement, train our children how to protect themselves when approached by a complete stranger, especially an armed stranger, and then turn around and accuse him of being the aggressor when he has merely defended himself from being accosted. Where's the common sense in that?
CherokeeNative
CherokeeNative
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by jojoscorpio Tue May 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Thank you for your polite reply. I read the Times article when it was published. I believed then and still believe today that SYG was misused by the DA in the above mentioned cases. As I recall, in one case the shooter was the obvious aggressor. In another case, drug dealing was involved in one way or another. The DA in that area was quite vocal regarding his beliefs of how SYG passage would let criminals get away with murder. It wasn't a priority for him to pursue charges in these cases as they would make his initial stance look wrong. My opinion, granted, but one I've thought through.

Regarding my initial reaction, that was before there was anything more reported other than a NW had shot a teen and was claiming self defense. There wasn't a lot of detail the first day.

jojoscorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum