CrimeWatchers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brett T. Seacat

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brett T. Seacat Empty Brett T. Seacat

Post by Febbie Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:19 pm

A Kingman man is accused of killing his wife in 2011.

KINGMAN, Kan. (AP) _ A south-central Kansas law enforcement officer is charged with first-degree murder and arson in the death of his wife.

Thirty-four-year-old Vashti Seacat was found in her burned-out Kingman home following a suspicious fire April 30

Thirty-five-year-old Brett Seacat was charged Friday by the attorney general and held in the Kingman County Jail. It was not immediately clear if he had a lawyer.

Vashti Seacat had filed for divorce about two weeks before the fire

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Brett T. Seacat Empty Re: Brett T. Seacat

Post by Febbie Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Woman seeks to divorce Seacat
A woman who says she was the common law wife of a Kansas police instructor charged with murdering his wife and setting fire to their Kingman home is seeking a quick divorce from the man – more than eight years after the couple separated.
Legal experts say the request, if successful, could eliminate a defense challenge to the woman testifying against Brett T. Seacat, who is charged in the April shooting death of his wife, 34-year-old Vashti Seacat.

The divorce petition, served on Seacat Dec. 6 at the Kingman County jail, requests either a decree granting Burkett a divorce from Seacat or a decree declaring the two were never married to each other.

On the day Burkett’s petition was filed, District Judge Robb W. Rumsey ruled “there are sufficient grounds to declare the existence of an emergency and waive the statutory waiting period for a divorce.”

more:
Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Defense seeks to question potential jurors in Seacat trial
Kingman : AZ : USA | Feb 05, 2013

The defense's request came during a hearing on pretrial motions in the Kingman County case against Brett...

Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Suspect wants to mention wife's problems at trial

Seacat is charged with first-degree murder in the April 2011 shooting death of his wife. His attorneys argue the evidence would support their argument that 34-year-old Vashti Seacat committed suicide.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Expert: Seacat didn't forge suicide note

handwriting expert testifying for the defense said Wednesday that former Kansas police officer Brett Seacat did not forge a suicide note for his wife, Vashti, whose body was found inside the couple's burning home in 2011.

But in a possible blow to the defense, Avis Odenbaugh conceded in cross-examination that she is not currently certified by any forensic document examination organizations.

Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Friday, Jun. 07, 2013 / Updated: Friday, Jun. 07, 2013 11:03 AM

Ex-lawman accused in wife's death returns to stand

KINGMAN, Kan. --

His voice cracking at times, a former Kansas lawman told jurors that it was his fault his wife is dead but that he didn't kill her.

Brett Seacat returned to the witness stand Friday in his first-degree murder trial in the April 2011 killing of 34-year-old Vashti Seacat. The 37-year-old Kingman man also is charged with aggravated arson and two counts of child endangerment.

The defense contends his wife set the fire before killing herself.

Seacat told jurors he threatened his wife the last evening she was alive when he realized she wanted to go through with a contested divorce. He testified he told her he would get her fired from a cable company by exposing her affairs with two managers. He also threatened to publish private photographs of her.

more:

Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Defense attorneys in Brett Seacat murder trial call into question security of crime scene

Read more here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:04 pm

Brett Seacat takes stand in his first-degree murder trial in death of wife, Vashti

Smiling at times, Brett Seacat spoke freely about the morning before his wife, 34-year-old Vashti Seacat, died.

"It started like any other day," he told a jury Thursday. "I woke up. I got the kids ready for daycare. Vashti got ready for work."

Before she and their sons left – it was about 6:30 a.m. – Seacat said his wife even kissed him goodbye.

“She said, ‘See you at night,’ and actually gave me a big kiss, which I thought was odd,” Seacat testified.

Why, defense attorney Roger Falk asked.

“In the last week, or week and a half, we had been back and forth about 50 times on divorce. So when we went to bed that night, I thought we were still talking divorce,” he said.

Seacat appeared calm – even making brief jokes at times – as he took the stand Thursday afternoon to testify in his own defense. He is accused of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of his wife and aggravated arson for allegedly setting fire to their Kingman home to cover up the crime.

His defense is arguing a depressed Vashti Seacat set the house ablaze on April 30, 2011, then committed suicide in her second-floor bedroom as her two young sons – then 2 and 4 – slept down the hall.

Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Expert defense witness: Seacat’s pants were improperly packaged initially

KINGMAN — An expert witness called by Brett Seacat’s defense Thursday told the jury a pair of BTU pants Seacat wore the night a fire charred his house were improperly packaged for arson analysis immediately after they were collected for evidence by law enforcement.

Gene Gietzen said in his review of police documents as well as laboratory- and evidence-related issues in the case, he discovered a statement written in a KBI forensic scientist’s notes that indicates the BTUs weren’t placed in a proper storage container for at least an hour before they were turned over the agency – and possibly 22 months before arson testing was conducted by the KBI.

Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:13 pm

opening statement

pictures of the trial
Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by papapi Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm

I've only been listening to bits and pieces of this case over the months, and now hearing some of the courtroom testimony on the HLN. Don't know how the jurors are taking all this, but what I've seen so far leaves no doubt in my mind he's guilty of murdering his wife and torching the house.
papapi
papapi

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:52 pm

He's as guilty as sin. He thought because he was a cop that he would get away with it. No woman is going to set her house on fire with her two children in it and then kill herself, she would have just killed herself and ended it. No woman is going to file for a divorce and then kill herself. He thinks everyone is stupid and he's the smart one.

He will be spending the rest of his life behind bars.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:54 pm

papapi wrote:I've only been listening to bits and pieces of this case over the months, and now hearing some of the courtroom testimony on the HLN. Don't know how the jurors are taking all this, but what I've seen so far leaves no doubt in my mind he's guilty of murdering his wife and torching the house.

I've been pretty much keeping up with it. He's guilty. Another Jodi Arias, doesn't want to take any responsibility at all. He throws in a few digs about himself to make himself sound truthful, but he's full of it.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Gizmo711 Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:34 am

One Wonders wrote:Thank you for this thread.
Can't say for 100% sure, but I don't think this guy stand's a chance.

I don't think so either. They caught him in too many lies. Plus he forged a suicide note supposedly written by his wife. He claimed that she tried to commit suicide before but there is no record of it, he gave two different hospital names that he had taken her to but neither one has any record of it (like JA when she claimed that Travis liked little boys). He wasn't allowed to mention it on the stand because it was proven but he managed to squeeze it in yesterday so that the jury can hear it (almost caused a mistrial).

He actually thinks that he is going to get away with it. He is going to Brett T. Seacat 1627671162

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:25 am

Gizmo711 wrote:

I don't think so either. They caught him in too many lies. Plus he forged a suicide note supposedly written by his wife. He claimed that she tried to commit suicide before but there is no record of it, he gave two different hospital names that he had taken her to but neither one has any record of it (like JA when she claimed that Travis liked little boys). He wasn't allowed to mention it on the stand because it was proven but he managed to squeeze it in yesterday so that the jury can hear it (almost caused a mistrial).

He actually thinks that he is going to get away with it. He is going to Brett T. Seacat 1627671162

Not to mention the gun is found under her body...that's a terrific fete..to kill yourself and the gun goes beneath you?

Dude is going to be convicted, IMO
LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:50 am

LiveLaughLove wrote:
Gizmo711 wrote:

Not to mention the gun is found under her body...that's a terrific fete..to kill yourself and the gun goes beneath you?

Exactly, and then he claimed that he picked her up and tried to carry her, yet he did not get any blood on him. He needs to take acting lessons also, that skit on the 911 call, pretending to be hysterical was as phony as hell.

He couldn't take her leaving him and he wasn't going to see her with anyone else. He thought by being a cop that he was going to get away with it (like Drew Peterson). Not going to happen.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Gizmo711 wrote:
LiveLaughLove wrote:
Gizmo711 wrote:

Exactly, and then he claimed that he picked her up and tried to carry her, yet he did not get any blood on him. He needs to take acting lessons also, that skit on the 911 call, pretending to be hysterical was as phony as hell.

He couldn't take her leaving him and he wasn't going to see her with anyone else. He thought by being a cop that he was going to get away with it (like Drew Peterson). Not going to happen.

I heard part of his testimony yesterday where he claims he told her he would sue for custody and when he got custody, she would never see those children again. He says this is the reason she killed herself. IMO, this shows he was a vengeful and wanted revenge for filing for divorce. I believe that gave jurors his motive..

LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:20 pm

LiveLaughLove wrote:
Gizmo711 wrote:
LiveLaughLove wrote:
Gizmo711 wrote:

I heard part of his testimony yesterday where he claims he told her he would sue for custody and when he got custody, she would never see those children again. He says this is the reason she killed herself. IMO, this shows he was a vengeful and wanted revenge for filing for divorce. I believe that gave jurors his motive..

Correct, but the only reason he told the jury that was to try and convince them that she killed herself and not that he killed her. He is trying to use psychology on the jury. He'll make himself into a bastard and the jury will find him believable. Did you notice how slick he was to squeeze in that bit about how he used to protect her from herself "but he didn't think he was allowed to say why", it was his slick way of squeezing in something to give the jurors food for thought. Meanwhile she never tried to kill herself because there is nothing to substantiate such an accusation.

He's a bastard that thought by being a cop he would kill his wife and get away with it.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:28 pm

One Wonders wrote:Hi ladies,
You two are on the ball, thanks.
Sooo he opened the door for the prosecution to walk right in and then it was slammed shut before the prosecution had a chance? Who asked for the mistrial? Sorry I haven't been paying attention like I should have.
Yes, LLL I agree with your opinion of him thinking the jury would look at him as some irrestiable romeo and she killed herself over the children. When I read what you wrote I was thinking are you kidding me, but the way these monster's think is something else isn't it?
Another thing that get's me is *she shot herself in the back of the neck and was still able to set the fire*. in 2 places IIRC no less?
Anyway, closing's start Monday right?
What kinds of sentence is he facing?

I have a friend who's daughter was murdered on her way home from work at 11pm at night in the mid to late 90's. She lived very close by so was able to walk. She filed for divorce, he told her he would not pay child support. The murder is still unsolved if you can believe that. If he didn't do it himself he certainally had someone do it for him. A guy with his build and same kind of a car was seen around there that night.
He took the kids and oh gosh so sad. The son is in collage now and has pretty much figured out that his dad was behind it. The daughter is maybe going to be a senior this coming school year and has moved in with her Mom's brother and family. Much better for her.

They didn't ask for a mistrial, but the prosecution objected and after Seacat said what he said, the prosecution could have asked for a mistrial per media. Seacat wasn't supposed to bring up previous suicide attempts by his wife, the judge wouldn't allow it because there was no proof that she ever did. Seacat brought it up very plainly for the jury to hear. His lawyer asked him what he meant when he said that he used to protect her from doing things to herself and Seacat said that the very thing that he would protect her from he didn't protect her this time (indicating that she had committed suicide) and the jury certainly heard it. The judge advised the jury to not take what he said into consideration. However, they heard it and Seacat meant for them to.

He really thinks he is going to get off of this murder, but it's just too much evidence against him. He's going away for life.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Defense rests in Brett Seacat trial in Kingman

A Kingman County jury could begin deliberations as soon as Monday. Seacat was back on the witness stand today, and he denied killing his wife, Vashti, at their Kingman home in 2011

Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Seacat Trial: Jury Instructions/Closing Arguments

Monday 10th 2013

Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:50 pm

I don't have too much faith in this woman prosecutor. She could have really slammed Seacat on that stand but it seemed that when she asked a question, she really didn't know the answer, and that's not too good. I wonder where they got her from.

However, this case is so damning that I believe he will be convicted even if we had no prosecution at all.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum