CrimeWatchers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Negro is black in Spanish...Teacher fired

+2
LiveLaughLove
Chickenbutt
6 posters

Go down

Negro is black in Spanish...Teacher fired Empty Negro is black in Spanish...Teacher fired

Post by Chickenbutt Sat May 25, 2013 8:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-snipped-

Petrona Smith says she was simply using the Spanish word for "black" during a lesson about colors when she used the word "negro" in her seventh-grade class at P.S. 211 in the Bronx. But the 65-year-old teacher was fired after a student reported her

Can we get any more absurd?
Chickenbutt
Chickenbutt
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Negro is black in Spanish...Teacher fired Empty Re: Negro is black in Spanish...Teacher fired

Post by LiveLaughLove Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 am

SMH!

Can we get any more sensitive?

That is the color for black in Spanish, so why was she fired?

I smell a huge lawsuit against the BOE....
LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Negro is black in Spanish...Teacher fired Empty Re: Negro is black in Spanish...Teacher fired

Post by Gizmo711 Sun May 26, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm sure there was more to it than that. Maybe she used the word in a not so nice explanation. I would like to hear exactly how she put it in context.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by twee Sun May 26, 2013 10:27 pm

There has got to be more to the story, Negro is not a derogatory word...
twee
twee

Back to top Go down

Post by jojoscorpio Thu May 30, 2013 3:15 am

She also had kids who failed a test move to the back of the class. So much for encouraging kids to learn. She denies calling the kids "failures" but isn't that what her actions were screaming? I wouldn't want her teaching my kids.

jojoscorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by NoahMan Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Chickenbutt wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-snipped-

Petrona Smith says she was simply using the Spanish word for "black" during a lesson about colors when she used the word "negro" in her seventh-grade class at P.S. 211 in the Bronx. But the 65-year-old teacher was fired after a student reported her

Can we get any more absurd?

I think it depends on the context. If this teacher tends to pull crap like that or not.

Was she teaching Spanish? Did she give the Spanish alternative for ALL the colors... or just for black.

Sounds from that little article you posted there's some mention of her perhaps doing other things just to humiliate students.

So, I guess I'd have to say I'd have to know more about this teacher to know if she really used the word negro innocently or not.

On it's face, it seems absurd. But in my experience, when "outrage over political correctness" stories like this pop up, there's usually more to the story than first appears.

NoahMan
NoahMan

Back to top Go down

Post by NoahMan Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Ladytwee wrote:There has got to be more to the story, Negro is not a derogatory word...

Negro is a derogatory word. Yes it is part of the acronym NAACP and UNCF. But, those names were kept for name recognition.

But the word Negro has been considered derogatory for decades now because it harkens back to a very painful period for African Americans in this country.

Is it has hurtful as the other "N" word. Probably not. But it's definitely considered disrespectful and unkind.

Last edited by NoahMan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
NoahMan
NoahMan

Back to top Go down

Post by NoahMan Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:15 pm

jojoscorpio wrote:She also had kids who failed a test move to the back of the class. So much for encouraging kids to learn. She denies calling the kids "failures" but isn't that what her actions were screaming? I wouldn't want her teaching my kids.

I also didn't like that article's presumption that because she's evidently black from the West Indies that by default that means she couldn't have used the word in a derogatory manner. That in and of itself is a racist presumption.

West Indian black people can have quite different perspectives on "blackness" than do African Americans.

I'm a white person. If I call certain people "crackers", does that mean it's not racially derogatory when I used it, just because I'm white?
NoahMan
NoahMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum