CrimeWatchers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christopher Lane Murder: Teens Charged In Shooting Death Of Australian Baseball Player

4 posters

Go down

Christopher Lane Murder: Teens Charged In Shooting Death Of Australian Baseball Player Empty Christopher Lane Murder: Teens Charged In Shooting Death Of Australian Baseball Player

Post by CherokeeNative Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:23 am

Here is another senseless murder that I intend to follow:

With a motive that's both chilling and simple – to break up the boredom of an Oklahoma summer – three teenagers randomly targeted an Australian collegiate baseball player who was attending school in the U.S. and killed him for fun, prosecutors said Tuesday as they charged two of the boys with murder.

Prosecutor Jason Hicks called the boys "thugs" as he described how Christopher Lane, 22, of Melbourne, was shot once in the back and died along a tree-lined road on Duncan's well-to-do north side. He said the three teens, from the grittier part of town, chose Lane at random and that one of the boys "thinks it's all a joke."

Hicks charged Chancey Allen Luna, 16, and James Francis Edwards Jr., 15, of Duncan, with first-degree murder. Under Oklahoma law they will be tried as adults. Michael Dewayne Jones, 17, of Duncan, was charged with using a vehicle in the discharge of a weapon and with accessory to first-degree murder after the fact. He is considered a youthful offender but will be tried in adult court.

Jones wept in the courtroom after he tried to speak about the incident but was cut off by the judge who said it wasn't the time to sort out the facts of the case. Jones faces anywhere from two years to life in prison if convicted on the counts he faces.

The two younger teens face life in prison without parole if convicted on the murder charge.

"I'm appalled," Hicks said after the hearing. "This is not supposed to happen in this community."

In court, Hicks said Luna was sitting in the back seat of a car when he pulled the trigger on a .22 caliber revolver and shot Lane once in the back. Hicks said Jones was driving the vehicle and Edwards was in the passenger seat.

A recording of an emergency 911 call obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press offers a chilling account of the next moments as a woman identifying herself as Joyce Smith tells the operator she saw Lane fall over into a ditch as she drove by.

"He's got blood on his back," the woman says.

Later relaying word from another witness on the scene to the 911 operator, the woman says: "He's turning blue. He's making a noise."

Edwards has had prior run-ins with the law and came to court Friday – apparently after the shooting – to sign documents related to his juvenile probation.

"I believe this man is a threat to the community and should not be let out," Hicks said as he requested he be held without bail. "He thinks it's all a joke."

The two younger boys were held without bail, while bail for Jones was set at $1 million.

Before the hearing, Edwards' father, James Edwards Sr., said he knew where his son was 95 percent of the time. He said his son was involved in wrestling and football, and was trying to forge the same sort of athletic career as Lane. He was heading into his sophomore year in high school.

Edwards Sr. said Luna was also like a son to him.

Luna's mother, Jennifer Luna, said her son likes to play basketball at a local court and play on his iPhone and Xbox.

"I know my son. He is a good kid," she said.

Lane played baseball at East Central University in Ada, 85 miles east of Duncan, and had been visiting his girlfriend and her parents in Duncan after he and his girlfriend returned to the U.S. from Australia about a week ago.

Duncan police Chief Dan Ford has said the boys wanted to overcome a boring end to their summer vacation – classes in Duncan resumed Tuesday – and that Jones told officers they were bored and killed Lane for "the fun of it."

Family and friends on two continents were mourning Lane, who gave up pursuit of an Australian football career to pursue his passion for baseball, an American pastime. His girlfriend, Sarah Harper, tearfully laid a cross at a streetside memorial in Duncan, while half a world away, an impromptu memorial grew at the home plate he protected as a catcher on his youth team.

"We just thought we'd leave it," Harper said as she visited the memorial in Duncan. "This is his final spot."

His old baseball team, Essendon, scheduled a memorial game for Sunday to raise funds for Lane's parents as they worked to have their boy's remains sent home.

Tony Cornish, president of the Essendon Baseball Club, said Lane played with the club for 12 years.

"He started out as a T-baller, right from the age of 7, " said Cornish.

Cornish said Lane was part of the club until he left to attend college in the U.S.

"Chris Lane was a good kid, just a great all-around guy," Cornish said. "We're still all in shock here."

Meanwhile, St. Bernard's College in Essendon, where Lane was a student, is planning a memorial Mass for Lane in November.

Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper reported that roses and a baseball were placed Monday on the home plate where Lane played as a youth with the message: "A wonderful young man taken too soon. Why?"

Tim Fischer, former Australia deputy prime minister, criticized the National Rifle Association and asked Australians to avoid the U.S. as a way to put pressure on its Congress to act on gun control.

"Tourists thinking of going to the USA should think twice," Fischer told the Herald Sun. "I am deeply angry about this because of the callous attitude of the three teenagers, (but) it's a sign of the proliferation of guns on the ground in the USA. There is a gun for almost every American."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
CherokeeNative
CherokeeNative
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Christopher Lane Murder: Teens Charged In Shooting Death Of Australian Baseball Player Empty Re: Christopher Lane Murder: Teens Charged In Shooting Death Of Australian Baseball Player

Post by Nell Belle Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:57 am

Christopher Lane Murder: Teens Charged In Shooting Death Of Australian Baseball Player 1089331458 I watched this news in disbelief, I was dumb-founded and so shocked. I just don't get it. What is going on here in the America? This young man was gunned down for fun, out of boredom, wth??? why??? what is happening with our kids, I can't think of anything to say. I am so sad for our kids today, all I can do right now is constantly inform my grandkids on God's love for all mankind. It is hard to answer their questions about some of the things they see in this world, here in the greatest country in the world. What are we to do with kids that don't understand the sanctity of life. Sad day in America....Thank you CN for sharing.
Nell Belle
Nell Belle

Back to top Go down

Christopher Lane Murder: Teens Charged In Shooting Death Of Australian Baseball Player Empty Re: Christopher Lane Murder: Teens Charged In Shooting Death Of Australian Baseball Player

Post by CherokeeNative Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Thank you Nelle - well said. I've tried to look at this from every angle, and I cannot fathom what was going through these kids' minds - bored, so they decide to shoot someone? OMG - I just can't believe that our children are being raised to not understand as you say Nell, the sanctity of life. It truly makes me long for the simpler days back when we were kids - if only we could get past the racism of that time - but hold on to the importance of the family unit and preciousness of life as it was back then. I look for reasons - what has caused the disconnect - and I cannot point to one singular thing because there are so many to point a finger at. If this is what evolution is, I want off.

I can guarantee you though, the jurors on these defendants' cases will not have one problem connecting with the victim or the mother of the young man struck down - not that I would expect anything less - just that when you consider the facts, George Zimmerman did the same thing. In both cases, the defendant had a choice - and in both cases, they chose murder.

I think compassion is the key to understanding. What is the saying? Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar. -Bradley Miller

Somewhere along the line, we as a society are failing our young by not teaching them compassion.
CherokeeNative
CherokeeNative
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by ellejay Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Chris Lane. Picture: Essendon Baseball Club

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Chilling 911 call details final moments of Melbourne baseballer Chris Lane's life

--snip--
Meanwhile, the US government says it is "deeply saddened" by the drive-by shooting murder.

"The United States is deeply saddened to hear the tragic news of the death of an Australian citizen in Oklahoma," Ms Harf said.

"This is clearly a tragic death, and we extend our condolences to the family and the loved ones. We understand that local authorities are focused on bringing those responsible to justice. Clearly, we would support that."

The State Department's comments came after former deputy prime minister Tim Fischer urged Australian tourists to stay away from America to protest the need for stricter gun controls in the US.

Prosecutors have promised that the "thugs" charged over the brutal murder "will pay".

District Attorney Jason Hicks said outside the first court hearing in the Oklahoma town of Duncan that he was "going to do everything I can to ensure these three thugs pay for what they did to Christopher Lane".

--more@link
ellejay
ellejay

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 pm

It's a damn shame...these three thugs shot Christopher in the back just like the cowards they are.

There is no rhyme or reason other than they were bored...

what happened to our nation? will we finally start to take a stand against violence?

LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum