CrimeWatchers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jodi Arias #4

+24
GeraldBourguet
LorenzoG
Cleos_mum
owlsharkny
Sea Ray
NoahMan
zesmi
LiveLaughLove
Febbie
ColoCali
CherokeeNative
One Wonders
lucy123
twee
papapi
ellejay
Gizmo711
angiefly2
Nell Belle
optio
Nan11
Chickenbutt
CuriousPortlander
ecossiepossie
28 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Jodi Arias #4 - Page 8 Empty Re: Jodi Arias #4

Post by Febbie Mon May 20, 2013 11:03 am

Chickenbutt wrote:Good morning...Was gone all day yesterday. I see we had big doin's I am so looking forward to tomorrow. Can't wait to hear the jury say "Death"
Save me a seat, I want to watch this happen today... I am still waiting for the screaming and kicking...teehee
Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Mon May 20, 2013 11:30 am

Febbie wrote:
Chickenbutt wrote:Good morning...Was gone all day yesterday. I see we had big doin's I am so looking forward to tomorrow. Can't wait to hear the jury say "Death"
Save me a seat, I want to watch this happen today... I am still waiting for the screaming and kicking...teehee
I can't wait to see how this plays out today. Will Darryl Brewer be the only one for Jodi? I heard Patti will NOT testify.. save me a seat too...leaving now for a bit. Take a shower, get dressed and have to go to the drug store...BBL Jodi Arias #4 - Page 8 1449507023
LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Mon May 20, 2013 12:22 pm

The ongoing penalty proceedings will be the final phase of the trial. Jurors are expected to begin deliberating Arias' ultimate fate this week.

Defense attorneys plan to call to testify an ex-boyfriend of Arias and the defendant herself, among others, as they work to convince the jury Arias' life should be spared.

The proceedings will play out like a mini-trial as the prosecutor will be allowed to cross-examine each witness, and both sides will offer closing arguments before the jury begins deliberations.

Under Arizona law, if the jury cannot reach a unanimous decision on sentencing, the panel will be dismissed and jury selection will begin anew. Another panel would then be seated to hear arguments in only the penalty phase to determine a sentence. If the second panel cannot reach a unanimous agreement, the judge will then sentence Arias to either her entire life in prison or life in prison with the possibility of release after 25 years.

The most anticipated part of the penalty phase will be when Arias takes the witness stand, though exactly what she will say remains a mystery. Within minutes of her murder conviction, Arias complicated efforts for her defense when she gave an interview to Fox affiliate KSAZ, saying she preferred death over life in prison.

It wasn't clear whether the prosecutor would use those words against her in court, given some experts say it might not work in his favor aimed at securing a death sentence.

"Jodi Arias has proven herself to be a conniving manipulator so she may be saying something like this to get a reaction from the jury," said San Francisco criminal defense lawyer Michael Cardoza. "She may be hoping the jury says, 'We won't give her what she wants, and if she wants death, we're giving her life.'"

Cardoza noted that in Arias' case, with so much evidence against her, the defense can still claim some level of satisfaction if they can just keep her off death row.

Arizona defense attorney Thomas Gorman, who has handled dozens of death penalty cases, said Martinez may not need to mention Arias' comments in the television interview to jurors given they haven't been sequestered throughout the trial.

"They just can't avoid it," Gorman said. "If they're at a bar or a restaurant, they're going to see and hear things."

Arias also cannot choose the death penalty. It's up to the jury to determine a sentence. And while death penalty appeals are automatic in Arizona, she could choose not to pursue additional appeals if she indeed wanted to die for her crime.

Earlier this week, after Arias' was interviewed post-conviction, her attorneys asked to be allowed to step down from the case, but a judge denied the request. Legal experts say the decision was not a surprising one because the attorneys have a conflict of interest with their own efforts to try and save her life while Arias has said she'd rather die.

The motion to withdraw will have no impact on the penalty phase of the trial given jurors are not privy to the filing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Only two will testify, Darryl Brewer and Jodi....anyone have this on our bet who would testify?

LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenbutt Mon May 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Here's my tally from Thursday... CN 6 LLL 6 OW 5 CB 6 PA 7 Nan 3 Nell 2 ang 2 elle 3 eco 3 CP 4 little 3 Lady 3 cool 5

Thanks to Papapi for keeping the numbers!
Chickenbutt
Chickenbutt
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Chickenbutt wrote:Here's my tally from Thursday... CN 6 LLL 6 OW 5 CB 6 PA 7 Nan 3 Nell 2 ang 2 elle 3 eco 3 CP 4 little 3 Lady 3 cool 5

BBM

I think two have won this...Nell and Ang..if this stays the way it is as of now.

I still don't understand why the defense wouldn't have Jodi's mother beg for mercy for her child..

Last edited by LiveLaughLove on Mon May 20, 2013 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed name from nan to nell)
LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by LiveLaughLove Mon May 20, 2013 12:41 pm

By Michael KieferThe Republic | azcentral.comMon May 20, 2013 7:52 AM

Defense attorneys for Jodi Arias filed a motion for mistrial Sunday after a witness who was supposed to testify as to Arias’ character withdrew because she was being threatened.

Patricia Womack, a friend of Arias, was supposed to testify Friday in Maricopa County Superior Court, but could not because the defense attorneys and the prosecutor spent the afternoon behind closed doors, ostensibly arguing over the defense case.

“However, after returning home Ms. Womack began receiving threats, threats that included threats on her life if she were to testify on Ms. Arias’ behalf,” attorney Kirk Nurmi wrote in the motion. “On May 19, 2013, Ms. Womack contacted counsel for Ms. Arias that she is no longer willing to testify due to these threats. It should also be noted that these threats follow those made to Alyce LaViolette, a record of which was made ex-parte and under seal.”

LaViolette, an expert on domestic violence, testified during Arias’ trial and was subsequently harrassed and threatened by trial watchers who staged a massive defamation campaign against her.

Why do idiots do this?

Those threats should be investigated to the full extent of the law..

This trial is one step away from certain life or death..why would someone want to mess with this 5 month trial that took 5 years to start..

idiots...
LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Mon May 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Nan11 wrote:
LiveLaughLove wrote:
Chickenbutt wrote:Here's my tally from Thursday... CN 6 LLL 6 OW 5 CB 6 PA 7 Nan 3 Nell 2 ang 2 elle 3 eco 3 CP 4 little 3 Lady 3 cool 5

BBM

I think two have won this...Nan and Ang..if this stays the way it is as of now.

I still don't understand why the defense wouldn't have Jodi's mother beg for mercy for her child..

I think you mean Nell. Laughing

I fixed it....my bad...Razz
LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by papapi Mon May 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Crime Watchers members invited to chat live today starting at 10AM AZ time, 1PM eastern tentative, Arias trial penalty phase resumes...

papapi
papapi

Back to top Go down

Post by Nell Belle Mon May 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Mornin Friends, so happy to be here, kids are in school and it's peacefeul, weekend gets nuts around here. I just wanted to mention how some folks say this is Jodi's first crime, no record, and how DP should be given to serial killers etc.... This girl is a serial killer, she killed Travis 3 times, same person, but three people would have died from her attacks, first person, stabbed in the heart, dead, second person slit throat, dead, third person shot in the head, dead. To me she is a serial killer, she just happened to kill Travis three times over. Her art work and good friend BS, aint doing it for me, even if she said she was so sorry, I doubt that will happen, my heart is hardened over this grown ass womans actions, 27 yrs old not a kid in my book. The family deserves so much to find peace and counseling, Steven is the one with PTSD, that's what it looks like, Jodi you do not have that you have EVIL, and girl you need to go to hell and meet that guy! she will be in good company. God Bless the kids, and friends of Travis. Amen! Jodi your arse is gonna burn:Liar Liar Pant
Nell Belle
Nell Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by Nell Belle Mon May 20, 2013 1:07 pm

I think this evil girl does not want her mama up there, she wants to send a message that her mother doesn't love her and she thinks the jury will feel sorry that her own mother doesn't care about her, she so full of crap, I can't imagine this nut showing any real sorrow for her actions.
Nell Belle
Nell Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by Febbie Mon May 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I am waiting, come on lets get this on the road. If someone wants to make threats, they deserve to be behind bars, stopping this trial could get them hurt. Teehee.

Jodi is going to make her last stand, bet it will be a good one.
Febbie
Febbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nell Belle Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 pm

see all in chat around 10am AZ time, gonna get it together so I can focus on this phase and chat with yall. bbl
Nell Belle
Nell Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by papapi Mon May 20, 2013 1:35 pm

I just want to say how much I have enjoyed discussing this case with the folks at Crime Watchers. Being part of this smaller, more intimate group of posters has provided good perspective. I watched along most days on HLN, but didn't participate in discussion until near the end. Seeing the trial on live streaming was a better choice.

Thank you, one and all!
papapi
papapi

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenbutt Mon May 20, 2013 1:46 pm

So, will Darrell just get up there and speak like the Alexanders did, or will he get in the witness stand and be asked questions by Nurmi and/or Wilmott?
Chickenbutt
Chickenbutt
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Mon May 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Chickenbutt wrote:So, will Darrell just get up there and speak like the Alexanders did, or will he get in the witness stand and be asked questions by Nurmi and/or Wilmott?

Yes, I believe Brewer and Jodi will be at the podium.

I wonder if her ankle chains and waist stun belt will be removed for this...

LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Mon May 20, 2013 2:06 pm

papapi wrote:I just want to say how much I have enjoyed discussing this case with the folks at Crime Watchers. Being part of this smaller, more intimate group of posters has provided good perspective. I watched along most days on HLN, but didn't participate in discussion until near the end. Seeing the trial on live streaming was a better choice.

Thank you, one and all!

I like we are like minded people. It gives me too much stress always trying to defend the victim. At least here we are all on the same page..

I was suffering from FF....forum fatigue.... Jodi Arias #4 - Page 8 1112333598
LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Mon May 20, 2013 3:16 pm

allocution legal definition
Listen See in Thesaurus
noun

1.The procedure during sentencing when a judge gives a convicted defendant the opportunity to make a personal statement on his own behalf to mitigate the punishment that is about to be imposed. The defendant does not have to be sworn before he makes his address, his comments are not subject to cross-examination, and the opportunity may include the right to offer evidence (such as an explanation for his conduct or a reason why severe sentence should not be imposed) beyond a request for mercy or an apology for his conduct.

2.A similar procedure where the victim of a crime is given in some states the opportunity to personally speak, before punishment is imposed, about the pain and suffering suffered or about the convicted defendant.

3.The procedure by which a guilty plea can be accepted in a criminal action. The process usually consists of a series of questions designed to assure the judge that the defendant understands the charges, is guilty of the crime he is accused of, understands the consequences of a guilty plea and that he is entitled to a trial, and is voluntarily entering the plea.

LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by LiveLaughLove Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial

By BRIAN SKOLOFF
Associated Press

Published: Monday, May. 20, 2013 - 12:20 am

PHOENIX -- Jodi Arias' lawyers have asked to withdraw from the case and say they won't call any witnesses in the penalty phase of her trial.

The stunning declaration came Monday after the judge denied their request for a mistrial based on a key witness receiving death threats.

In protest to the judge's decision, defense lawyers Kirk Nurmi and Jennifer Willmott asked to withdraw. Their request was promptly denied.

The attorneys then said they won't call any witnesses to testify on Arias' behalf as jurors consider a life or death sentence, sending the court into recess as lawyers work to resolve the next step.

Read more here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
LiveLaughLove
LiveLaughLove

Back to top Go down

Post by papapi Mon May 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Well, isn't this a pant load? Why couldn't Arias just get on up there and say whatever it is she's gonna say? Judge Stephens is ready to be over and done with this now. It seems to me she has bent over backwards to here every itty bitty little objection from defense, but now that the penalty phase has begun, she wants to finally be rid of this trial and wash her hands of it. Can't say I blame the judge one little bit.
papapi
papapi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next