CrimeWatchers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jodi Arias #4

+24
GeraldBourguet
LorenzoG
Cleos_mum
owlsharkny
Sea Ray
NoahMan
zesmi
LiveLaughLove
Febbie
ColoCali
CherokeeNative
One Wonders
lucy123
twee
papapi
ellejay
Gizmo711
angiefly2
Nell Belle
optio
Nan11
Chickenbutt
CuriousPortlander
ecossiepossie
28 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Jodi Arias #4 - Page 32 Empty Re: Jodi Arias #4

Post by Sea Ray Tue May 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Nan11 wrote:
Sea Ray wrote:There seems to be a lot of confusing information out there. I thought I cleared this up earlier but I'll try again.

The judge can't step in and impose a LWOP sentence yet. First the state must decide if they want to convene a new jury and try to get a unanimous verdict for death. The state has that right under Arizona law and the judge can't take that away from them. If the state elects not to go that route, then the sentencing is decided by the judge. Even if a plea deal is reached with Jodi, the judge must approve it.

If a new jury is also deadlocked then it's as if the state elected not to convene a new jury...the case would go back to the judge and she would decide sentencing herself.

Did that clear up all your questions? Do you have any more?
BBM - Maybe I'm misreading this, (and I hope so), but this is an open discussion thread. All opinions are welcome and we don't mind repeats.

I have no idea what you're getting at so I'll explain myself here.

I've dealt with this subject twice to varying degrees of detail. If after all that, something is unclear or you disagree with something, please let me know. I'm inviting further discussion. With that in mind, if you have further questions, please let me know. I'd be happy to discuss it further anytime.

Sea Ray
Sea Ray

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sea Ray Tue May 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Nan11 wrote:[We all may not agree with you, and that is okay.

I wish for everyone to continue commenting any way they please on this thread, as long as it is on topic of the Arias trial.

If I'm wrong please correct me. I'm not a lawyer and I don't want to go through life spouting incorrect facts. If I've done that here, please correct me so I don't continue to do so
Sea Ray
Sea Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Sea Ray Tue May 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Documentation? Sure there's this:

Prosecutors also have the option to take the death penalty off the table and avoid a new penalty phase. The judge would then determine whether to sentence Arias to spend her entire life behind bars or give her life with the possibility of release after 25 years...

Should the state decide to seek death again, jury selection alone could take months, given the difficulty of seating an impartial panel in a case that has attracted global attention and become daily cable TV and tabloid fodder with tales of sex, lies and violence, said jury consultant Jo-Ellan Dimitrius.

“Will it be impossible? No. Will it be tough? Absolutely,” she said.

If Arias faces a new penalty phase, her murder conviction will stand, leaving the new panel tasked only with sentencing her. However, the proceedings could drag on for several more months as the new jury reviews evidence and witness testimony.

If the second jury cannot reach a unanimous decision, the judge would then sentence Arias to one of the life-in-prison options. The judge cannot sentence Arias to death.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There's also this from two pages back in this thread:

Sea Ray wrote:
Are you sure about that? I think you're wrong. From what I've read, the state is under no obligation to retry the penalty phase. It's my understanding that if they opt not to retry this, then it'll be as if the jury voted 12-0 for life and the actual sentence would be determined by the judge. Jodi doesn't have to agree (plea) to anything should this happen

If you have information which contradicts this, please educate us all

Following the penalty phase deadlock, the state has the option to retry the sentencing portion of the trial and have a new death penalty jury impaneled. Should such a jury also deadlock, capital punishment would be taken off the table.

Should prosecutors opt against a full penalty-phase jury retrial, the judge would be left to hand down a verdict of life in prison.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Sea Ray
Sea Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by angiefly2 Tue May 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks Nan and Searay
I was not sure how this whole thing worked as far as the different ways JA could be sentenced. It's so confusing because most states have different laws etc...
With AZ they had where the jury could ask questions so I was unsure in what other ways AZ differed. I guess I could have looked it up lol
I was just so pissed that I didn't even bother.
angiefly2
angiefly2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sea Ray Tue May 28, 2013 6:21 pm

angiefly2 wrote:Thanks Nan and Searay
I was not sure how this whole thing worked as far as the different ways JA could be sentenced. It's so confusing because most states have different laws etc...
With AZ they had where the jury could ask questions so I was unsure in what other ways AZ differed. I guess I could have looked it up lol

I think HLN confused matters by opining about possible Jodi plea deals. The main reason the state would consider those is to avoid future appeals. In other words a key component of those plea deals would be that she agrees to forgo future appeals. IMO, she won't agree to that so I don't think we'll see any plea deal.

I'm not Miss Cleo but my guess is that the state will not call a second jury and just hope that the judge gives her life w/o parole. We'll see in about a month
Sea Ray
Sea Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by angiefly2 Tue May 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Sea Ray wrote:

I think HLN confused matters by opining about possible Jodi plea deals. The main reason the state would consider those is to avoid future appeals. In other words a key component of those plea deals would be that she agrees to forgo future appeals. IMO, she won't agree to that so I don't think we'll see any plea deal.

I'm not Miss Cleo but my guess is that the state will not call a second jury and just hope that the judge gives her life w/o parole. We'll see in about a month
Yes, I have always said HLN gets stuff wrong so I agree with ya there. They do the crappiest "reporting" and it drives me nuts!
angiefly2
angiefly2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sea Ray Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 pm

angiefly2 wrote:
Sea Ray wrote:

Yes, I have always said HLN gets stuff wrong so I agree with ya there. They do the crappiest "reporting" and it drives me nuts!

Jodi Arias #4 - Page 32 713145813
Sea Ray
Sea Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Tue May 28, 2013 7:55 pm

If the state decides that they don't want to go the cost of bringing in another jury, then the plea deals will begin. The judge just cannot say OK LWOP to Jodi. If that was the case I'm sure it probably would have been done.

The reason Jodi will not take a plea deal is because if she does she will be owning up and accepting LWOP and will not be able to appeal it.

Jodi doesn't care at this point whether she gets life or death because she has all intentions of appealing, and knowing Jodi she thinks she has a good shot at getting her conviction overturned. But accepting a plea deal of any sort she cannot appeal it.

I get worried at this because if the state thinks that the odds weren't that good 8 to 4, they may just think twice about getting in another jury. Then Jodi will be in the ball park. Jodi would never accept a plea deal of LWOP, she may accept 25 years in hope that she will get out with good behavior in about 7 or 8 years after the 5 years she has already spent in jail.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sea Ray Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Gizmo711 wrote:If the state decides that they don't want to go the cost of bringing in another jury, then the plea deals will begin. The judge just cannot say OK LWOP to Jodi. If that was the case I'm sure it probably would have been done.

Yes, the judge can easily sentence her to LWOP if the state decides against convening a new jury. The reason she hasn't done this already is because she's waiting on a decision from the state on that matter. The risk is that she has two choices: LWOP or life with parole. Let's hope she's not even considering that 2nd one.
Gizmo711 wrote:
The reason Jodi will not take a plea deal is because if she does she will be owning up and accepting LWOP and will not be able to appeal it.

Exactly right. So don't expect any plea deals at this point.

Gizmo711 wrote:

I get worried at this because if the state thinks that the odds weren't that good 8 to 4, they may just think twice about getting in another jury. Then Jodi will be in the ball park. Jodi would never accept a plea deal of LWOP, she may accept 25 years in hope that she will get out with good behavior in about 7 or 8 years after the 5 years she has already spent in jail.

Not to worry. Jodi won't be in the ballpark so to speak. Without a plea deal, she still gets life in prison. The only decision Judge Stephens has is whether to sentence her to life without parole or a chance of parole at 25 yrs. That would be horrible but the earliest it could release her would be 20 yrs ( 20 yrs+5 already served=25). I think Judge Stephens knows better and would never do that.
Sea Ray
Sea Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by zesmi Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 am

good morning.

this trial consumed me. i have jodi free since thursday. i was gutted with the non-verdict. i have not watched her interviews nor the jurors that are on a media train. i have heard snippets, and the two women who spoke yesterday on dr drew were very intelligent and they were saddened they couldn't come to a consenus.

my take on this. all the jurors knew it was pre-meditated. all of the jurors knew it was extremely cruel. not all of the jurors were sure death was the right way to go. the foreman from what i have read is close-minded. he went in not thinking she could commit such a crime. im sorry: he had no place on that jury. he sounds stubborn as well...they would have talked for days...he wouldn't budge.

im ok with the way things are. why? because of her vindictiveness and her hatred for travis and his family, she is locked up 23/7...the irony of it! 20 minutes after the verdict, she goes on camera and continues to spew her venom for all the see. she said 'suicide'...oh Lordy Lordy...she had to go on suicide watch. now...thats her home until the official verdict. that gives me pleasure. she is there...with her two hands...and nothing else.

the day after her release...she looked horrid. i can't wait to see her on june 20th.

my heart and soul is tortured for the alexanders. stephan's face...its in my mind all the time..the expression when he said 'i don't want to SEE my brother's murderer any more'...im worried about him. samantha...her tears...her raw emotion...she lost more than a brother...the family is torn apart...they can only begin to heal when the heathen shuts her trap! she won't ever shut up!

plea deal? she will never take one. either way...she's like a petulant child..cuts her nose to spite her face. this time: it bit her in the ass! she is not singing in jail...not conversating with her inmates...

i don't know what i want for her anymore. she is a different kind of evil. death should be almost immediate. if she gets death...then AZ has to pay her attorneys fees...all the appeals...for the love of God, Jesus and Baby Jesus...if i can't take her no more...how can his family? LWOP...she has to pay her own way right? then i'm ok with that.

in GP....that girl won't survive. her condescending, holier than thou attitude will get her shanked...some hard-core inmate will show her who's the bitch.

no easy solution for this one. i want the alexanders to start to live again. i wish i could tell them how to start. i just know that jodi will never stop poking at them...she will never let them be. Jodi Arias #4 - Page 32 2832021075

zesmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Nell Belle Wed May 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Morning all, I have been stewing about this trial more than I should, I did hear the Jurors on Dr. Drew and they felt horrible and wanted death to this evil entitiy. The kids have got to be strong. My husband said to me, God knows and he is not done with this. I had to grab that and let my mind rest. I will never understand how 4 jurors found anything redeeming in this excuse for a human being. The word "Closure" is not a favorite word of mine at all, I am using it only in this statemnt or thought to share myself with you all. I know myself there is never "Closure" when you lose a loved one and have no clue that they could die or are dying. This kind of pain is always there, a book that never gets finished, and holiday with something missing, the worst thing I can think of is, for a split moment you think your dead loved one, child, brother mother or father etc, is going to come through the door and say the familiar words you have heard so many times before, and in that split second you are snapped back so harshly into reality, you feel this great pain cover you like a blanket and it nearly knocks you down to your knees. Such great sadness so quickly and suddenly, there is no break from that feeling, there is no closure. Your life is no longer what it was and what you wanted it to be. It changes you so deeply when you are alive and the one you love or brought into the world is dead in a grave. Your only reprieve is the goodness of God, and his mercy and love for you. I know the Alexanders will never have closure, I do pray that they will surrender their pain to God and Jodi can rot in a living hell. I wish there was "Closure" it is not meant to be, Jodi wants closure because she is so done with this Travis thing. I do hope she is as miserable and a person can be. I will pray for the Alexander kids, I wont pray for closure, that doesn't exist, it truly does not, I will pray for relief and comfort for them, and to know God is so good.
Nell Belle
Nell Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Wed May 29, 2013 12:57 pm

It comes a time when we have to settle for what happens. We had to do this so many times before. I'm just so pleased that the jury found Jodi guilty of "first degree" murder and committed in a premeditated and cruel manner, that secures her entire future of being behind bars or the DS which ever comes first.

I'm happy with either.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by angiefly2 Wed May 29, 2013 4:04 pm

One Wonders wrote:Hi Nell. I hate the word "closure" used for the death of a loved one, alway's have hated it. There is no closure ever. For me 49 years after my cousin's murder, I think of her everyday, I wonder why her, I do not go to the how it happened because it is more than my mind can handle.

Jodi Arias #4 - Page 32 941308610 I know the feeling. There was never closure when the love of my life was murdered and there never will be. I think time helps some, but not much. I remember my family telling me that I should just get past it and blah blah blah. Well a murder and going to court with his family, who I am still close with, was hard. Watching his mom cry was really hard and hearing her impact statement was so hard. his mom opted for no trial and the murder got a plea deal witch sucked really bad... but we didn't want to relive his murder or see gory pictures etc.
I sure do miss him so much though! Jodi Arias #4 - Page 32 3722079155

Back to top Go down

Post by Sea Ray Wed May 29, 2013 5:26 pm

I don't like seeing the anger in the family such as Steven. It's getting in the way of him functioning as a person. It's obviously affected his marriage, job, sleep etc even all these years later. I hope he finds a way to let it go for his sake, not Jodi's
Sea Ray
Sea Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by CherokeeNative Wed May 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Well, I heard this morning that Travis' family is ready to go another round with the penalty phase of this case. It appears that they have regrouped and are not willing to let Jodi run the show. I salute them and hope the jury gets it right this next go around.
CherokeeNative
CherokeeNative
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sea Ray Wed May 29, 2013 10:43 pm

One Wonders wrote:Let's see???
"All these year's later"
WTH is that?
This family cannot even begin grieving properly much less heal until the legal portion of Travis' death is over with.
Steven has every right to be mad as hell for as long as he want's to be mad as hell.
BTW there is NO set number on how long the grieving process may take a person.
What you don't seem to get is that his brother was BRUTALLY MURDERED with no resolution for it as of yet.
Tell me as I'm curious when was the last time you lost a loved one period, not to even mention a murdered loved one?

To answer the last question, I lost a brother myself to a blood disease 9 years ago. We were hoping a bone marrow transplant would save him but he never made it to Seattle for the procedure.

I have no idea why you're copping such an attitude. It's not a matter of someone's rights or what I don't get. Steven has every right to feel however he feels. I feel sorry for him that he still harbors such anger. I understand why but I still feel sorry for him and I hope he can get past this. I think you do too so I don't understand why you're climbing all over me.

Now what's your problem?

I'd appreciate it if you'd stay on Jodi's back and off mine. We're on the same side here
Sea Ray
Sea Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next